General Writing and Grammar Help/sentence meaning

Question
Dear Martha,

Nice day.

Hardly a day goes by when I don't think of her.

Hardly a day goes by without my thinking of her.

Do the above sentences have the same meaning*I think of her everyday*?

If they have the same meaning,then why the first sentense*Hardly a day goes by when(almost everyday)I don't think of her* can be understanded as I think of her everyday?

Thank you for your help

Answer
Yes, it means you think of her every day.

~~

Note:  =everyday= means ordinary
This is my everyday shirt.  It is not my Sunday shirt.

=Every day= means "each day".
I think of her every day.  I don't think of her only once a month.

~~

The reason the first sentence means "I think of her every day" is that it is a double negative.

=Hardly= is one negative, and =don't= is another.  Two negatives make a positive = I think of her every day.
mb  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Martha Beth Lewis