General Writing and Grammar Help/At work - on the job

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "at work" and "on the job"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** In general usage, there is no difference between the two phrases.  Most people say that they are "at work."

There is ONE specific usage that is different.  In this country, when a policeman is not wearing his uniform -- he is in "plain clothes" -- and there is a crime, he calls out to the other policemen who ARE wearing uniforms that he is "on the job."  That phrase is used so that policemen who cannot be identified by their uniforms can inform their uniformed colleagues NOT to shoot them.  He could call out, "Don't shoot me.  I'm a cop."  However, policemen have their own "codes," and they tell each other that they are "on the job" so that they are identified as policemen.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt