General Writing and Grammar Help/meaning of "burn through"

Question
Dear Ted,
Can the expression "burn through" mean to "use up"? In other words, do the following sentences make sense?
1. My car burns through gas ( = it gets bad mileage)
2. Americans should learn to conserve water, not burn through it so quickly.
Also, if my understanding of the expression is correct, can you give me a few more examples of how to use it.

Answer
Dear Glen:

Can the expression "burn through" mean to "use up"? In other words, do the
following sentences make sense?

*** CORRECT. The usual express is "burns up gas."

*** CORRECT

*** CORRECT

Also, if my understanding of the expression is correct, can you give me a few
more examples of how to use it.

*** John's father left him a substantial inheritance, which he burned through in just one year.

*** Jane was well-prepared for the final examination.  She burned through the questions in rapid order.

*** Although the novel is more than 600 pages, I intend to burn through it in one day.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt