General Writing and Grammar Help/phrase

Question
Dear Roy,

In one technical description I have seen a phrase like "a first surface of the first tube contacts to a second surface of the second tube". Both of the terms designatig the surfaces was not defined in that text earlier. Taking into account the presence of the indefinite article, I would take it as "a first surface, of the first tube, contacts to a second surface, of the second tube", that is "a first surface (a part of the surface of the first tube) contacts to a second surface (a part of the surface of the second tube) of the second tube". Is this interpretation correct?

Nikolay.

Answer
Hello Nikolay

It's difficult to  answer this without knowing the full context.

But I think your interpretation is correct.

It seems odd (in English) to use the indefinite article A in connection with a tube.

It would be much more usual to say THE surface of a tube.

I hope that helps

Best wishes  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Roy Johnson