General Writing and Grammar Help/Possessive apostrophe & professional credentials

Question
What is the appropriate punctuation when a professional/academic credential falls between the possessor's name and the noun representing the object that is possessed?

Joe Smith, MD's book......

Joe Smith, MD's book....

Joe Smith (MD)'s book...

Other?

Are parentheses appropriate? Should a comma intervene between the surname and the credential in this case--or a pair a commas setting off the credential?

Thanks!

Answer
Nancy,

My immediate solution would be to use: Dr. Joe Smith's book.

But if you're looking to stay with MD, numbers and abbreviations that previously used apostrophes for the plural (the 60's, local MD's) the common practice, now particularly in online writing, is to use the simple "s" (the 60s, local MDs), thus Joe Smith, MDs book....

Jerry Leone

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jerry Leone