General Writing and Grammar Help/a question

Question
QUESTION: Dear ted,
Please help me with following statements again. If you have any idea to express these statements in another way or better, please let me know.

1- I felt that working is not interesting for me anymore and I felt like to return to educational conditions.

2- You can find your way when you get lost.

3- They didnít consider me serious.

4- A bird which was flying above his head excreted on his coat.

5- You can read the ingredients on the can. There is not anything special that we donít intake every day.

ANSWER: Dear Ali:

1- I felt that working is not interesting for me anymore and I felt like to
return to educational conditions.

*** If you mean that you would return to school for more education, I would suggest this wording:  I FEEL that working is not interesting for me anymore, and I FEEL like returning to school for more courses [or "education"].

*** GOOD

3- They didnít consider me serious.

*** GOOD

*** Do Iranians use such "formal" words as "excreted" in usual language.  Your sentence is correct.  I think it would be better if you changed the adjective clause, beginning with "which," and used a participle phrase instead:  A bird flying above his head excreted on his coat.

5- You can read the ingredients on the can. There is not anything special that
we donít intake every day.

*** INTAKE is another rather formal word.  I would use "consume" or "eat" instead of "intake."

Ted

QUESTION: 1- I felt that working is not interesting for me anymore and I felt like to
return to educational conditions.

### Is it incorrect to use felt like as past simple of feel like?

### What are the better alternatives for "excrete" in this sentence?

Answer
Dear Ali:

Question:
return to educational conditions.

*** If you mean that you would return to school for more education, I would
suggest this wording:  I FEEL that working is not interesting for me anymore,
and I FEEL like returning to school for more courses [or "education"].

**** No, it is not incorrect.  If you write the sentence using the past tense, your feelings about both working and returning happened sometime in the past.  You don't know exactly when in the past, but you do know that these actions occurred some time ago.  I suggested the present tense to indicate that your decision was recently made.

*** Do Iranians use such "formal" words as "excreted" in usual language.  Your
sentence is correct.  I think it would be better if you changed the adjective
clause, beginning with "which," and used a participle phrase instead:  A bird
flying above his head excreted on his coat.

*** Alas, there are problems.  A formal synonym is "defecate."  "Egest" and "excrete" are also synonyms.  If you are being casual, you would probably not use these words.  The most casual verb is "pooped."  To me, that word sounds childish.  The most popular word to use in your sentence is "shit."  Unfortunately, that word is considered by many people to be impolite or obscene.  

You can also say that the bird "relieved himself" on the man's coat.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt