General Writing and Grammar Help/a question

Question
QUESTION: Dear ted,
Please help me with following statements again. If you have any idea to express these statements in another way or better, please let me know.

1- He was trying to save the cat got stock in rain drainpipe.

2- The students who enroll the program are Iranian. (Am I allowed to eliminate “who” in this sentence?)
--- I know the students who enroll the program. (Am I allowed to eliminate “who” in this sentence?)

3- I have a kind of personality that I would like to predict everything before its happening. I would like to welcome outcomes and results in advance.

4- Some people usually buy goods while they don’t need them. They buy them just for a delusive competition.

5- Not providing education opportunity to everyone in a society will increase psychological obsession in the society.

6- Man should follow education from birth to death.

7- I was not really in the mode of some of his actions.

8- Highlight your abilities and eliminate your weaknesses.

9- It boosts your abilities twice.

10- You must huge your enemies to not let them draw their sword on you.

ANSWER: Dear Ali:

Please help me with following statements again. If you have any idea to express
these statements in another way or better, please let me know.

*** He was trying to save the cat THAT GOT STUCK in the drainpipe.

2- The students who enroll the program are Iranian. (Am I allowed to eliminate
“who” in this sentence?)

*** You can remove "who."  Here is the revised sentence:  The students enrolled in the program are Iranian.

--- I know the students who enroll [IN] the program. (Am I allowed to eliminate “who”
in this sentence?)

*** You can remove "in."  Here's another way:  I know the students enrolled IN the program.

3- I have a kind of personality that I would like to predict everything before
its happening. I would like to welcome outcomes and results in advance.

***  Ali, your "personality" is your distinct traits that make up or tell who you are.  I don't think that foreseeing the future is part of one's personality.  I suggest you eliminate the words dealing with personality.  Look at this sentence:  I wish I could predict everything before it happens.  I would like to be able to welcome outcomes and results in advance.

4- Some people usually buy goods while they don’t need them. They buy them just
for a delusive competition.

*** I don't know what you mean by "delusive competition."  Do you means that some people buy things just because friends or neighbors have these things?

*** Some people buy things WHEN they do not need them.

5- Not providing education opportunity to everyone in a society will increase
psychological obsession in the society.

*** Good, but make "education" an adjective, "educational opportunity."

GOOD

*** Use MOOD, instead of MODE.

*** VERY GOOD

9- It boosts your abilities twice.

*** The sentence would be much better if you named "it."  What is IT that does this boosting?

*** I think you mean "hug" instead of "huge."  Hug = embrace another person by putting your arms around them in a friendly gesture.  Huge = very large or gigantic.

Mamnoon, for presenting your sentences and questions so well and so easy to read.  Some people write in a very poor, "sloppy" manner.

I think you must be a very "neat" person.

Ted

QUESTION: 4- Some people usually buy goods while they don’t need them. They buy them just
for a delusive competition.

### Ted, You are right. Is there an expresion for this kind of competition in English Language?

Answer
Dear Ali:

Question:
for a delusive competition.

*** I don't know what you mean by "delusive competition."  Do you means that
some people buy things just because friends or neighbors have these things?

### Ted, You are right. Is there an expresion for this kind of competition in
English Language?

****  I just noticed a typographical error in my previous message to you.  I should have
typed "Do you MEAN that some people . . . . "

*** There are two ways of describing this situation.  For instance,  one person feels he must COMPETE with other people, so he buys whatever they buy.  A second expression is "to keep up with" other people.  In other words, if your neighbor buys a new car, you feel that you also
must buy a new car or he will have some kind of advantage over you.  You MUST buy a new car, even though you don't need one, just to KEEP UP WITH your neighbor.

Many years ago, someone actually gave a name to these anonymous neighbors.  "Jones" is a common last name in the United States.  The phrase that resulted is that people feel "they must keep up with the Joneses."

Another well known phrase is "one upmanship."  When your neighbor buys his new car, you have a feeling that he is "one up on you."  If you respond to his actions by buying your own new car, you are practicing "one upmanship."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt