General Writing and Grammar Help/Two questions.

Question
Dear Ted,

Thanks for your quick reply each time!

I read of two sentences:

1. The fridge was stuffed to bursting. (I think it is right to say, The fridge was stuffed
 to burst.)

2. My car engine made an unusual noise, so I took it to a mechanic. (It seems strange for me to say, took it to a mechanic.  It is too heavy , how to take it?)

Thanks again!

Best Wishes,

Walden

Answer
Dear Walden:

Thanks for your quick reply each time!

I read of two sentences:

1. The fridge was stuffed to bursting. (I think it is right to say, The fridge
was stuffed
 to burst.)

**** "Bursting" is the present participle form of "to burst."  It is correct to use.  It is
an exaggeration, because it says that the fridge was so full, it was near the point of "exploding," because of too much food inside.

2. My car engine made an unusual noise, so I took it to a mechanic. (It seems
strange for me to say, took it to a mechanic.  It is too heavy , how to take
it?)

*** The only way to "take" the car is by driving the car to where the mechanic is.  Even though the car was making the noise, it was still working.  Thus, you were able to drive it to the mechanic's repair shop.  If the car had stopped working, the only way you would be able to get it to the mechanic would be to have some other vehicle, like a truck, TOW the car for you.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt