General Writing and Grammar Help/usage of the word "approval"

Question
Dear Ted,
I know that one meaning of the word "approval" is permission. However, I don't often hear people use the expression "to get someone's approval (to do something)". I just want to make sure that I'm using the expression "to get someone's approval" correctly in the following sentence. In other words, does the following sentence make sense?
"I need my wife's approval to stay out late."

Answer
Dear Glen:

I know that one meaning of the word "approval" is permission. However, I don't
often hear people use the expression "to get someone's approval (to do
something)". I just want to make sure that I'm using the expression "to get
someone's approval" correctly in the following sentence. In other words, does
the following sentence make sense?

*** YES.  Your wife has, apparently, set a time that you must be home.  It's called
a "curfew."  If you must be home by 10:00 p.m., your wife will be upset if you arrive at
11:00 p.m.  You must ask her permission [approval], if you intend to stay out longer than
the fixed time she has required.

[It sounds like the wife makes the rules in this relationship.]

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt