General Writing and Grammar Help/use of: "as far as"

Question
Dear Ted,

Can you please tell me if “as far as” can be used as a subordinating conjunction.

For example:

“As far as I am concerned, studying language is a very useful hobby.”

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich:

Can you please tell me if “as far as” can be used as a subordinating
conjunction.

For example:

"As far as" can be a subordinating conjunction or a phrasal preposition.  In your
example, it is a subordinating conjunction.

In this sentence, it is used as a preposition:  The rose bush grew as far as the top of the trellis.  ["Top" is the object of the preposition "as far as."]

As a subordinating conjunction, a clause [I am concerned] must follow.  
As a preposition, an object "top" must follow.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt