General Writing and Grammar Help/years'

Question
Dear Ted,

My question is about the following sentence:

“Registered Pharmacist with nearly 20 years’ experience in providing ...”

I am wondering about the apostrophe after the word "years".  Can you please tell me if this is correct or not.   Should I write “of years” instead?

Thank you    

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich:

“Registered Pharmacist with nearly 20 years’' experience in providing ...”

I am wondering about the apostrophe after the word "years".  Can you please tell
me if this is correct or not.   Should I write “of years” instead?

*** The reason that the apostrophe is included is because the preposition "of" is omitted.
"20 years OF experience" is, in my opinion, the better statement.  There is nothing wrong with "20 years' experience," however.

Either one may be used.  I personally prefer "20 years of experience."

"Two weeks of traveling in Europe" sounds better to me than "two weeks' traveling in Europe."

"Registered" is capitalized because it begins the sentence.  I do not think that "pharmacist" should be capitalized.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt