General Writing and Grammar Help/FICTION - THOUGHTS

Question
When my characters have a thought I put those thoughts in italics. I then have been adding the comment
“he thought” or “she mentally wondered,” etc. My question is - do most publisher want that added comment for
clarity or are the italics enough for the reader to know the person is thinking this?
Thank you once again for your help sir.

Answer
Hi Michael,

If you are consistent about the use of italics it should not be necessary every time. I would probably do it the first couple of times that it happens to let the reader know what's going on and then after that they'll associate the italics with thoughts automatically. Although, in some of my own fiction work, I didn't even bother denoted "he thought" because with the italics and the change from 3rd person to 1st person it was obvious what was happening.

Kind Regards,
-Johnathan  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Johnathan Clayborn