General Writing and Grammar Help/Get or have a hol on someone

Question
Dear Ted:

Is it "to HAVE a hold on someone" or "to GET a hold on someone"?

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** They are similar in meaning, but they are used in different situations.

EXAMPLES:  She is so beautiful, I think she has a hold on me.  [under her control]

The library has a hold on Jim, because of the huge amount of fines he owes.  [the library is controlling Jim's borrowing activities]

Have you placed a hold on the seminar room?  If you did not, we might not have a place to meet.

Jane has been trying to get hold of her mother for several hours.  [trying to contact]

Justin got a strong hold on his wrestling opponent.  The other wrestler was not able to break Justin's hold.

When I get a hold on the entire problem, I'll let you know, and maybe the two of us can solve it.

*** Paulo, it is more common to get a hold OF another person, rather than get a hold ON that person. When you are holding on, it suggests that you have your hands around them.

The policeman got a hold on the criminal and and prevented the man from escaping.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt