General Writing and Grammar Help/To get someone home - to take someone home

Question
Dear Ted,

Is there any difference between "to GET someone home" and "to TAKE someone home"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you,

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Is there any difference between "to GET someone home" and "to TAKE someone
home"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** The phrases can be interchanged, so there is no real difference.

I need to get/take my mother home at 9:00 p.m.
Her father wants me to get/take his daughter Julia home before midnight.

However, Paolo, there is one special usage for "GET someone home" that is not
the same as "TAKE someone home."  Even though the two words usually mean the
same, if the person is incapacitated, like being passed out or drunk, the phrase
"to GET" is generally used.  There is a suggestion that a drunk person cannot get home
without help.  You can say that you need to TAKE him home [which would apply to any situation], but if you say that you need to GET him home, you are indicating that he cannot GET home under his own power.

EXAMPLES:  We had to GET John to his home, because he was too drunk to drive.
During the dinner party, Ann got very sick.  We wanted to take her to the hospital, but she asked us to GET her home.

In the overwhelming majority of cases, you TAKE someone home.  GET is reserved for "special" situations, most often when the person as the inability to take care of himself.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt