General Writing and Grammar Help/Let someone down - turn someone down

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to LET someone down" and "to TURN someone down"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Is there any difference between "to LET someone down" and "to TURN someone
down"?

*** Yes.  The MAIN meaning of "letting someone down" is that you are disappointing that person.

EXAMPLES:  When I wrecked our family's car, I really let down my parents, who had trusted me to drive carefully.

I know that Marsha really likes me, but I don't care for her.  I don't want to hurt her feelings, so I am going to let her down gradually.

*** The MAIN meaning of "turning someone down" is that you are totally rejecting that person.

EXAMPLES:  Having lied to the American people and to Congress, Hillary Clinton may be turned down by the majority of voters, if she chooses to run for the presidency in 2016.

John asked me to loan him $100, but I turned him down.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt