General Writing and Grammar Help/You've Really Got a Hold on Me

Question
Dear Ted:

I'm sorry to get back to you with the same subject but I still need your help.

In the song called "You've Really Got a Hold on Me," does "got" stand for the past participle of "get" or is it the same as saying "You really HAVE A HOLD on me"? In other words, is the above title simple present or present perfect?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "In other words, is the above title simple present or present perfect?" correctly written?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

In the song called "You've Really Got a Hold on Me," does "got" stand for the
past participle of "get" or is it the same as saying "You really HAVE A HOLD on
me"? In other words, is the above title simple present or present perfect?

*** There is a real problem with the verb "to get."  The participle form is "have got" OR "have gotten."  [The site below will show you examples and point the differences between English and American usages.

*** http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/5531/difference-between-i-have-got-an

*** My person preference is to refer to the usage as the present participle.  However, many grammarians disagree on this point.  Your wording of your question shows me that you already understand the problem.  Unfortunately, no "Grammar God" has come along to give the absolute and definitive answer.

Ted

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "In other words, is the above title simple present or
present perfect?" correctly written?

*** YES, IT IS.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt