General Writing and Grammar Help/'Shall' and 'will'

Question
QUESTION: 'Accidents will happen'
'Such guys as he will fight for their rights'

I suppose, these sentences are conditioned, to say generally, by the arrangement of the world, but who/what does determine conditions in the following sentnces (if they are correct)?

'Accidents shall happen'
'Such guys as he shall fight for their rights'

Thank you in advance.

ANSWER: Hello Nikolay

The differences between 'shal' and 'will' are very subtle.

'Shall' means that there is an element of compulsion - that some force is making an action necessary.

"You SHALL go to the ball" - means "We are going to make sure that you attend the dance"

'Will' means that there is an intention to perform an action.

"I will go to France next week" means I intend to travel to France next week.

Hope that helps.

QUESTION: Hello Roy,

Thank you for your answer.

I think, the difference between 'shall' and 'will' can be noticeable, and both of the modals can express compulsion, e.g. if I heard 'you shall do it' I would think, the speaker intends to undertake some actions which will make me do it (like in your example with a ball) but if I heard 'you will do it' I would think, in my life there is something that will make me do it.

But the question I put relates to the use of 'shall' and 'will' in general statemnts (and also it relates to the right British English, not to the simplfied American one). The sense of 'Accidents will happen' is fair - in such cases the Nature sets laws or rules. The sense of 'The Company shall oblidge...' is fair as well, here the heads of the company set rules. But the sense of the opposite expressios is escaping from my comprehension - who could make such a general statement as 'Accidents shall happen' or 'Such guys as he shall fight for their rights' - only God itself or any person who, for example, shares this opinion? And what is the meaning(s) of 'The Company will oblidge...'?

Answer
No native English speaker would say "Accidents shall happen"

They might say "Accidents will happen"

In other words "Accidents do tend to occur"

"The company will oblige ..." means "The company has a set of rules which compel you to [do something]"  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Roy Johnson