General Writing and Grammar Help/Check something - check something out

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to check something" and "to check something out"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Is there any difference between "to check something" and "to check something
out"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

*** There are instances in which they mean the same thing.  EXAMPLES:  (1) I want to check something/check something out on the internet.  (2) Check/check out that new car in the showroom.  In these cases, the meaning of "check" and "checkout" is the same:  a person is supposed to LOOK at something and possibly [but not always] give his opinion or evaluation.

Would you please give me some examples?

NOW, to the specific cases for both expressions:

CHECK SOMETHING

I checked my hat and coat with the butler, as soon as I entered the door.
I checked the oil in my car, because I thought it was running low.
Please check my essay for grammatical errors.

CHECK SOMETHING OUT

I checked out four books from the library.
When I checked out of my hotel, the manager gave me a coupon for a discount on my next visit.
I investigated the alibi the man gave me.  It checked out, so he is not the thief.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt