General Writing and Grammar Help/Italics, Quotation Marks

Question
Hi Ms. Balliet,

I think this is missing either italics or quotation marks, but I can't figure out which rules apply.

Example:

French workmen in the 1800s protested against their working conditions by throwing their wooden shoes, called sabots, into machinery. The English words sabotage and saboteur come from the French word sabot.

A saboteur is a person who ...

Would I use italics, quotation marks, or nothing in these three cases of "sabot" words?

1. wooden shoes, called SABOTS
2. The English words SABOTAGE and SABOTEUR
3. A SABOTEUR is

Thank you,

Peggy

Answer
You only use quotation marks for quoting someone, or a title of a book or movie, etc., but never for words that you want to emphasize.

You can italicize the words, but I definitely would not as the reader automatically reads it correctly as it is,

The correct writing is:

French workmen in the 1800s protested against their working conditions by throwing their wooden shoes which are called sabots, into machinery. The English words sabotage and saboteur, come from the French word sabot.  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett