General Writing and Grammar Help/Live it up

Question
Dear Ted:

What does "to live it up" mean? And what does "it" refer to?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use the above expression?

By the way, i it an expression or a phrase?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

By the way, i [IS] it an expression or a phrase?

*** Paolo, it is an expression that means to have a good time or to celebrate, like having a big party or spend a lot of money on entertainment.  There are two similar expressions that come to my mind.  These are related to "live it up."

*** Go out on the town
*** Paint the town red

EXAMPLES:

After the team won the championship, they decided to live it up by partying until dawn.

To celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary, John and Mary lived it up by having dinner at the most exclusive and expensive restaurant in the city.

My grandfather left me a lot of money in his will.  I intend to live it up:  I will buy a Porsche, I will take a Mediterranean cruise, and I will buy the most expensive Rolex watch I can find.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt