General Writing and Grammar Help/Sign up, sign on

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following sentences is/are grammatically correct?

1) He (has) just signed UP with/for the Los Angeles Lakers.

2) He (has) just signed ON with/for the Los Angeles Lakers.

3) He (has) just signed UP a five-year contract with/for the Los Angeles Lakers.

4)  He (has) just signed ON a five-year contract with/for the Los Angeles Lakers.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** #1 is correct.  It should be "He has just signed UP WITH the Los Angeles Lakers."

4)  He (has) just signed ON a five-year contract with/for the Los Angeles
Lakers.

*** #4 is correct.  Paolo, in many instances the preposition is not used.  Look at #4 for example:  Usually, we say, "He has just SIGNED A FIVE-YEAR CONTRACT."  We can assume that there was a line somewhere in that contract ON which he signed his name.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt