General Writing and Grammar Help/I have been ON VACATION for six weeks

Question
Dear Ted:

What does the following sentence mean?

I have been ON VACATION for six weeks.

Does it mean that "Now, I'm still on vacation" or that "My vacation is now over"?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo.

P.S. Ted, is it correct to use a comma before "now" in "Now, I'm still on vacation" or should I have written the sentence in another way? If so, would you please rewrite it for me?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

I am resending this answer, since Allexperts reports that you haven't read it.  I am having a problem with another person who is not getting my answers.  I hope you receive this second message.

Ted

**************************

What does the following sentence mean?

I have been ON VACATION for six weeks.

Does it mean that "Now, I'm still on vacation" or that "My vacation is now
over"?

*** The sentence uses the present perfect tense -- have been.  That means that six weeks ago, you began your vacation, BUT you do not indicate if you are still on vacation.  If your vacation has already ended, you should use the simple past tense:  "I WAS on vacation for six weeks."

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo.

P.S. Ted, is it correct to use a comma before "now" in "Now, I'm still on
vacation" or should I have written the sentence in another way? If so, would you
please rewrite it for me?

*** Using "now" to start the sentence is good, AND it should be followed by a comma.  You are right in both respects.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt