General Writing and Grammar Help/Await someone, wait for someone, wait on someone

Question
Dear Ted:

Are there any differences among "to await someone," "to wait FOR someone," and "to wait ON someone"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

*** "To wait FOR someone" and "to await someone" are almost always interchangeable.  They are essentially synonyms that mean you are at a designated place and time, and you are expecting some other person to join you.  "To wait FOR someone" is the most widely used.

"To wait ON someone" can have a much different interpretation.  The butler waits ON every person who lives at the estate.  [That mean the butler does all the work in the house.]

At the store, Lisa's job is to wait ON the customers.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt