General Writing and Grammar Help/Beware & be aware

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "beware" and "be aware"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** There is a difference.  "Be aware" is advice.  It is similar to saying "be alert" or "be on the lookout for something."  "Aware" is actually a synonym for "alert."

Because of all the tornadoes we have had this year, we should always BE AWARE of strange-looking, dark clouds.

You should BE AWARE of the rules and regulations before you begin your camping trip in the national forest.

*** "Beware," although it also suggests that you look out for something, is different, because there is a connotation of danger involved.   Instead of "being alert," you are advised to "be very careful" when the word "beware" is used.

Because his bulldog was very ferocious, Mr. Smith put a "BEWARE OF THE DOG" sign in his front yard.

Most poles or towers that support electrical wires had "BEWARE" warnings posted on them.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt