General Writing and Grammar Help/Climb up, move up, get up, go up the corporate ladder

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following expressions are correct and natural: "to MOVE up the career/corporate/social ladder," "to GET up the career/corporate/social ladder," "to CLIMB up the career/corporate/social ladder," or "to GO up the career/corporate/social ladder"?

If all four are possible, do they have the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

BTW, is it correct to call them expressions or are they phrases?

Finally, are there other ways to express the above concept(s)?

Thank you  very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Which of the following expressions are correct and natural: "to MOVE up the
career/corporate/social ladder," "to GET up the career/corporate/social ladder,"
"to CLIMB up the career/corporate/social ladder," or "to GO up the
career/corporate/social ladder"?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

**** Paolo, all four of them are possible, but MOVE UP and CLIMB UP are the two most frequently used.  I would call them "expressions."  

Another way to say the same thing:  to get ahead in the business world.

You can also say "to advance in the corporate hierarchy."

Finally, you can simply say "to get a better job or position."

*** These expressions that use the "corporate ladder" are employing metaphors.  There is NO ACTUAL LADDER.  The ladder stands for the various levels of employment or stature in the business.  

There is a related expression that refers to females only:  To break through the corporate ceiling.  The "ceiling" stands for the top levels of employment, which women rarely attain.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt