General Writing and Grammar Help/Clothes - come off & fall off

Question
Dear Ted:

When we talk about clothes, do they "come off" or "fall off"?

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If not, when should I use each of them?

*** I would not use either of them.  Clothes are "removed."  They are also "taken off."

*** If a person has been on a diet and loses a great deal of weight, he may have the problem
of his clothes being too large for his body.  In such a case, his clothing COULD "fall off."

*** Some people may use "come off" in relation to removing one's clothing.  But "come off"
would be an idiom, used only in restricted geographical areas.

The basic problem with both of your verbs is that they suggest the clothing ITSELF is performing the action.  Clothing does not have the capability of "coming off" or "falling off," unless the circumstance are very strange.

Use "remove" instead of "come" or "fall."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt