General Writing and Grammar Help/Comma Before Quotation

Question
Hi Deborah,

I'm questioning the use of commas before the quotation in each sentence. Are these correct?

In better times, the quintessential American question was, "What do you do for a living?"

Today, the question is likely to be, "Are you working?"

Thanks,

Peggy

Answer
Hello Peggy,

The question mark should go within the quotation if the punctuation applies to the quote itself (as in your first example-although this is a question within a question).

If the question applies to the whole sentence, the question marks should go outside of the quotation mark.  An example would be: Who wrote the "Pledge of Allegience"?  

I believe both of your examples are correct.

Dr. D  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess