General Writing and Grammar Help/English Alphabets/Characters/Letters Graphical Symbols.

Question
Exploring New Characters.
Exploring New Characte  
Dear Johnathan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language

The Letters/Alphabets/Characters are in total 26.

The 26 letters are constructed Graphically. There are some characters constructed only with Lines, some characters constructed only with curves and some characters constructed with a combination of line/s + curve/s. Words are formed with single or more characters.

Alphabets Constructed with Line/s : 15
viz A,E,F,H,I,K,L,M,N,T,V,W,X,Y,Z

Alphabets Constructed with Curve/s : 5
viz C,O,Q,S,U

Alphabets Constructed with Line/s + Curve/s : 6
viz B,D,G,J,P,R

1. Is it possible to generate more characters/alphabets/letters other than existing 26 characters of A..Z ?

2. Existing characters tilting 90 degree, 180 degree, 270 degree
clockwise , anticlockwise direction generates new characters.

Every character should have a unique name. For example : Reverse C,
Inverse T, Inverse A etc. With these New Character/Alphabet/Letter one should be able to construct new English words.

3. Can a Computer program / application help in this regard in generating a Unique Uppercase/Capital Letter/Alphabet/Character ?.

4. In case one is unsuccessful in generating new English characters/alphabets/letters in addition to the existing 26 characters, what could be the reason/s ?

N.B:

1. Only Uppercase characters currently taken as a exercise. one can explore lower case characters also.

2. Attached figure for the same ...

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi Prashant,

Apologies for the tardy reply. I'll try to answer your question very thoroughly.

-Certainly. Many cultures throughout the world use different alphabets that don't follow the English system. Theoretically one could create thousands of chracters. Posibly tens of thousands of letters.

2. Existing characters tilting 90 degree, 180 degree, 270 degree clockwise , anticlockwise direction generates new characters.
-If you are trying to create a new alphabet that is unrelated to an existing one, I would advise against this. The human brain has a tremendous capacity for processing shapes that it recognizes, even if those shapes are out of sequence or distorted. T4k3 th1s s3nt3nc3 f0r 3x4mpl3. Chances are that you read that correctly as intended in English without much effort. I can read upside proficiently and I know a few people who can read backward. If you want to make new characters, I would make them unique.

Every character should have a unique name. For example : Reverse C, Inverse T, Inverse A etc. With these New Character/Alphabet/Letter one should be able to construct new English words.
-Certainly, every letter should have a name. But, the construction of new words is independent of the alphabet that I'm using. The point of an alphabet is to capture on paper a way to express and communicate the phonetic sounds that are being spoken. Changing the way that a character is written will not necessarily change the way that the letter is pronounced. Even if it does change the way that the word is pronounced, it may not necessarily change the meaning. For all intents and purposes creating a new alphabet is like creating a "code" with language that allows people to speak and write in a manner that most people wouldn't understand easily.

-I suppose that it could, yes. I don't know of a particular letter generation program off of the top of my head, however. If you want to see some examples of some other characters from other languages on your Windows Computer, go to "Accessories" (or maybe it's System Tools...) and open the Character Map.

-There could be a lot of reasons. The place that I would start with is answering the question of why the current alphabet requires additional letters. Once you have the answer to that question, you'll have a better idea how to proceed.

I hope that helps.

Kind Regards,
-Johnathan

General Writing and Grammar Help

Johnathan Clayborn