General Writing and Grammar Help/Fit & suit

Question
Dear Ted:

Are the following sentences correct and natural?

1) This dress SUITS you very well.

2) This dress FITS you very well.

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

1) This dress SUITS you very well.

2) This dress FITS you very well.

*** They do NOT have the same meaning.  If a dress FITS a woman well, no altering has to be done.  In other words, the dress conforms to the woman's body.

"SUITS you well" means that it goes with your personality OR that you look good in it.  Most people believe that librarians are always unmarried women who wear very drab or unattractive clothing.  If such a librarian were to wear a red dress with bright yellow stripes, people would say that the dress would NOT SUIT her well.

Morticians usually wear dark clothes, almost always black.  If you went into a funeral home and saw a mortician wearing shorts and a wild Hawaiian shirt, you would be shocked, because that clothing does NOT suit his occupation.

Can you imagine a priest wearing a long PINK robe instead of black?  The color "pink" does NOT SUIT the priesthood.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt