General Writing and Grammar Help/Gain a reputation for something

Question
Dear Ted:

Does "to gain a reputation for something" exist?

If so, when is it used?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when is it used?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** Yes, this phrase is used quite often.  It means that someone does something really good and keeps doing it, so that everyone knows how good that person is.  [The negative can also be used for people who gain reputations that are "bad."]

EXAMPLES:

President John F. Kennedy gained a reputation for chasing women.  He was the greatest womanizer to ever occupy the White House.

All the members of the British royal family have gained the reputation for living lavishly.

Both Madonna and Lady Gaga have gained the reputation of performing in outrageous costumes.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt