General Writing and Grammar Help/give, give,

I do hope you are fine!

I have a question: Which choice is correct? Please explain your reasons.

"Peter, all I can do is ............... you the patterns that I am personally aware of."

a) give

b) to give

c) giving

Thank you a lot
I wish you all the best in life

Thanks Hame!

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think B is the technically correct answer, but colloquially we tend to use A.  Because it is two verbs juxtaposed - is and give - there must be a preposition between them to separate them, but we have possibly, over time, eliminated the "to" because this pattern is so common.

I'm not sure if that's the reason for it, but I'm very sure that's the correct answer.

Hope that helps!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Anything to do with word usage and/or grammar, plus the fundamentals on almost any type of writing (especially creative writing, such as poetry, short stories, movie/dramatic scripts, etc.)

Majored in English literature in college; have published short stories and poems, currently teaching English as a second language to foreigners

As mentioned above, a bachelor's in English Literature and also a CELTA certification which enables me to teach English as a second language to foreigners.

Editor's Choice for a national poetry contest. 2nd prize for a short story in a city-wide short story contest.