General Writing and Grammar Help/give,...to give,

Question
Hello

I do hope you are fine!

I have a question: Which choice is correct? Please explain your reasons.

"Peter, all I can do is ............... you the patterns that I am personally aware of."

a) give

b) to give

c) giving

Thank you a lot
I wish you all the best in life
Hame

Answer
Thanks Hame!

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think B is the technically correct answer, but colloquially we tend to use A.  Because it is two verbs juxtaposed - is and give - there must be a preposition between them to separate them, but we have possibly, over time, eliminated the "to" because this pattern is so common.

I'm not sure if that's the reason for it, but I'm very sure that's the correct answer.

Hope that helps!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Brian