General Writing and Grammar Help/Get information FROM / OUT OF someone

Question
Dear Ted:

Do you say, "to get information FROM someone" or "to get information OUT OF someone"?

If both are possible, do they have the same meaning?

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If not, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

** Both can be used, but usually you get the information FROM something.  When you use "OUT OF SOMEONE," the connotation is that the person doesn't want to give you the information.  It also suggests that you might have to use "force."

EXAMPLES:

I do not know how to find the park, but I will get the information FROM my uncle.

The police were able to solve the murder, after they got information FROM an eyewitness.

The vicious criminals tied the man to a chair and picked up various instruments of torture.  One man said, "We'll get the information OUT OF YOU."

Mary promised to keep John's news a secret, but I know that I can get the information OUT OF her.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt