General Writing and Grammar Help/GO a long way - COME a long way

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to GO a long way" and "to COME a long way"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** The main difference between the two phrases is that "go" suggests what is ahead, and "come" suggests what is behind.

Here's an example using BOTH:  We have COME a long way, but we have a long way TO GO.

OTHER EXAMPLES:

John has COME a long way in learning how to speak Mandarin.

Mary, because of her constant lateness, will have to GO a long way to get back in her teacher's good graces.

Many years ago, the advertising slogan for Virginia Slims Cigarettes [for women] was "You've COME A LONG WAY, BABY!"

The basketball team will have to GO a long way to have another successful season like the one they had this year.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt