General Writing and Grammar Help/Let loose - let oneself go

Question
Dear Ted:

If both are possible, is there any difference between "to let loose" and "to let oneself go"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If both are possible, is there any difference between "to let loose" and "to let
oneself go"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** The general usage of both phrases is the same:  a person is freed from the restraints of his inhibitions, rules, regulations, etc.  He is free to have fun.

EXAMPLES:

My last exam is on Thursday.  I intend TO LET LOOSE on Thursday night, so I'll have a hangover on Friday morning.

When Joan first started working at the company, she was always clean and dressed appropriately. Now, however, she has LET HERSELF GO.  She looks like she sleeps in her clothes and there is a bad odor coming from her.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt