General Writing and Grammar Help/I have a question on my outline

Question
You helped me earlier with my essay, and I wrote it well.  Now I have to do another assignment for my AP U.S History, but don't worry this isn't a history question.  My teacher told us to do an outline for the first two chapters of the textbook.  He didn't give us the textbook, instead he photocopied the pages, then stapled them together.  So there's a total of 42 pages, well I outlined the whole thing like I was supposed to, now I haven't edited it yet, but all together I have 22 pages with 5,322 words.  Now then my friend tells me that just for chapter 1 he only did 3 pages, meaning if he goes at that pace that hell have only six pages all together for both chapters, also meaning I did too much.  So can you tell me how many pages and words I should have for an outline of 2 textbook AP US History chapters?  Thank you

Answer
Hello Matthew,

I would say that your outline is too detailed as right now, it is half the length of the original text.

I think that 3 pages is probably a bit too condensed.  I don't have an answer as far as an exact number of pages but here is a video that may help you:

http://prezi.com/zvk-rhvxkrx_/how-to-outline-your-textbook/

One important piece of information is that the introductory paragraph of your readings may provide a preview to the important topics and help you get started.

Dr. D.  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess