General Writing and Grammar Help/GET revenge - TAKE revenge

Question
Dear Ted:

If both phrases are possible, is there any difference between "to GET revenge on someone" and "to TAKE revenge on someone"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If both phrases are possible, is there any difference between "to GET revenge on
someone" and "to TAKE revenge on someone"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** Paolo, I am fairly certain that you asked me this question before. The two phrases actually have the same meaning, but there is a slight difference in how they about used.
The words "take" and "get" are synonyms.  However, "take" is much more forceful than "get."

You go to the store to GET some bread.
You go to the store to TAKE some bread.

The connotation of the second sentence above is that you are going to steal the bread.  That is "forceful."

EXAMPLES:

I am going TO GET revenge on my friend John, because he dropped a water balloon on me.

Jack was responsible for the death of my father.  I will not rest until I TAKE my revenge on him.

Here's a helpful tip that usually works:  If what you do is meant to "get even,"
as in to have fun, USE GET.  If you act with the emotion of hatred, USE TAKE.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt