General Writing and Grammar Help/Get up-and-running

Dear Ted:

What does "to get up-and-running" mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use this phrase/expression?

By the way, is it an expression or a phrase?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Dear Paolo:

"To get up-and-running" means to become prepared to do something.  It is an idiomatic expression, which really has nothing to do with "running."

I couldn't get my computer up-and-running, so I called a technician for help.

The race horse was not only up-and-running, but he was also "raring to go."  ["Raring to go" to another idiomatic expression.  If you are very eager to do something, you are "raring to go."]

After studying all night, I felt that I was "up-and-running" for my math exam today.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy