General Writing and Grammar Help/Get up-and-running

Question
Dear Ted:

What does "to get up-and-running" mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use this phrase/expression?

By the way, is it an expression or a phrase?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

"To get up-and-running" means to become prepared to do something.  It is an idiomatic expression, which really has nothing to do with "running."

EXAMPLES:

I couldn't get my computer up-and-running, so I called a technician for help.

The race horse was not only up-and-running, but he was also "raring to go."  ["Raring to go" to another idiomatic expression.  If you are very eager to do something, you are "raring to go."]

After studying all night, I felt that I was "up-and-running" for my math exam today.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt