General Writing and Grammar Help/Take something a step further

Question
Dear Ted:

What does "to take it a step further" mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use the above idiom?

BTW, is it an idiom, an expression or a phrase?

Also, would you please give me some formal and informal/colloquial alternatives to it and what is its/the opposite?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** It means that you extend your activity beyond the point that you have already reached.

*** Although Jack had already won the debate, he took it a step further by citing references from several experts, all supporting his belief.

**** It is an infinitive phrase that has come to have a metaphorical meaning.  I would not call it an "idiom," although other people might.  When you use the phrase you are most likely NOT taking about taking actual steps.  That's why it is metaphorical.

*** The opposite, its antonym, is "take a step backward."  In my example, if Jack had agreed with his opponent in the debate, he would essentially have retreated -- that is a big step backward.

*** The only colloquial alternative that I can think of is this one:  to go the extra mile, another metaphor, because is doesn't actually mean the distance of a mile.  It simply means that you put forth additional effort.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt