General Writing and Grammar Help/Structure vs. Style

QUESTION: I am getting confused with  the definition of structure and style. Can you explain to me the difference. or maybe give an example of each?

ANSWER: Hello Loren

What you need is guidance on essay planning and structure.

Don't worry too much about style just for now. That can come later

Just adopt a simple way of writing in the first instance

First, here are some general notes on approaching essays

Essay planning

Essay structure

Generating ideas

If you want to see everything to do with Writing Essays, have a look at these:

I hope that helps

QUESTION: Hello, again.
Thank you for the links!
But I didn't want the structure to make my own essay. I wanted to know the difference in Style and Structure in other types of literature.

I'm writing a Compare/Contrast Essay on Red Wind by Raymond Chandler and Los Angeles Notebook by Joan Didion.
So I would like to compare/contrast the structure and style of those two works.

However, I am still confused on the difference between style and structure.
Can you explain it to me?

Thanks again for the links!

These are both very BIG issues in the field of literary studies.

STRUCTURE is the manner in which the parts of a narrative are arranged.

STYLE is the personal manner in which the author writes.

Structure studies the arrangement and the relationships of the parts

Here is a guidance note on the analysis of narratives

Style looks at the details of the prose

Here's a guidance note on the analysis of style

I will perhaps write a guidance note on structure - but it is such a big subject, it will take some time

best wishes  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Roy Johnson

I can answer questions on English language, grammar, writing skills, and study skills. I am particularly experienced in the writing skills required for academic essays, term papers, reports, dissertations, and post-graduate theses.

I have forty years experience as a tutor and as the author of books on writing and study skills. For thirty years I was a tutor for the Workers' Educational Association, which specialises in courses for adult students and preparing mature students for university. I was also a tutor for the Open University between 1975 and 2010. During that time I have also written a number of books on writing and study skills. In the last ten years or more I have specialised in creating computer-aided learning materials and online learning courses.

"Making the Grade" (Manchester University Press) 1990 "Studying Fiction" (Manchester University Press) 1991 "Marking Essays" (Clifton Press) 1993 "Revision and Examinations" (Clifton Press) 1993 "Writing Essays" (Clifton Ress) 1996 "Study Skills" (Clifton Press) 1996 "Electronic Writing" (Clifton Press) 1996 "Improve your Writing Skills" (Clifton Press) 2010 "Writing Essays 3.0" (Clifton Press) 2008 [computer program] "English Language 3.0" (Clifton Press) 2008 [computer program] "Study Skills 2.0" (Clifton Press) 2008 [computer program]

My first degree was in mechanical engineering (HNC). I then switched to literary studies and philosophy. My second degree was a BA in English and American Literature (from Manchester University - UK). I also have an MA in Comparative Literary Studies, and my doctoral thesis (PhD) was in the relationship between literature and politics.

Amber TV Anglia Polytechnic University Bath Spa University College The Beattie Partnership Blackpool & the Fylde College Bolton, Salford, & Trafford NHS Cedar Health Central Manchester Health Trust City College Manchester Coventry University David Rigby Associates East Lancs NHS Food Standards Agency Graduate Research Institute Granada Studios Higher Education Funding Council Hyde Clarendon College Kellogg’s UK Kingsmill Health Trust Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Liverpool University Manchester Airport Manchester City Council Manchester Metropolitan University MANCAT Manchester PCT (NHS) Manchester TEC North East Lancs PCT NorthWest Learning Grid Oldham Business School Open University Parrs Wood College Runshaw College Salford Mental Health Trust Save the Children Fund South Manchester Health Trust St John Rigby College St Mary’s Catholic High School SwimTime University of Bolton University of Central Lancs University College Chester University of Huddersfield University of Hull University of Manchester University of Salford West London Health Trust Winstanley College Manchester NHS Xaverian College