General Writing and Grammar Help/Typography and Calligraphy.

Dear Deborah‎‎‎‎‎

Typography is the study of type. Currently it is computer-based, and deals with type from a publishing/art standpoint.Calligraphy is the study of letters as art as well, but calligraphy is hand-drawn lettering, using specific types of pens. Calligraphy may also include designing new fonts.

Do you feel typography and Calligraphy can be taught in High Schools similar to Drawing and Craft taught as optional subjects in High School ?.

If yes, What would be the recommended ages for those learning art viz 8  - 11 years , 12  - 15 years ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Dear Prashant,

This is just my personal opinion but I feel that calligraphy could be taught in schools  However, I believe that typography is more appropriate for trade schools.  Unfortunately, with the budget of most schools in the US, students are fortunate if they have any art classes. Plus, in the past, penmanship was emphasized--not so much today.

Best regards,

Dr. D

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess

Essays--I can assist students with questions concerning the process of writing an essay including preparation of an outline, development of a topic, development of the thesis statement and topic sentences, and paragraph development. I can assist students in helping them determine the proper rhetorical modes for their essay (narration, illustration, description, process analysis, comparison and contrast, and argumentation. I am able to answer questions concerning rules of style for a research paper including referencing sources. I am able to address questions regarding punctuation and grammar.

I teach a writing workshop for the University of Phoenix (Richmond Campus) and two college courses: Essentials of College Writing and Elements of Composition.

Doctor of Management--University of Phoenix Masters in Human Resources--George Washington University B.A.--French and Linguistics, Oakland University