General Writing and Grammar Help/Use something for one's advantage

Question
Dear Ted:

Does "to use something for one's advantage" exist?

If so, when is it used?

Would you please give me some examples?

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when is it used?

*** It exists.  It means that you know something or have something that will give you an "edge" over another person.  A related phrase is "have the upper hand."  Another phrase, which originally applied to gambling," is now widely used for any kind of situation:  Have an ace up one's sleeve.

EXAMPLES:

In Shakespeare's "Othello," Iago uses Desdemona's handkerchief for his own advantage.

I know and can prove that John cheated on the exam; I intend to use this knowledge to my advantage.  [I can blackmail John with the knowledge I have.]

The coach was well aware of Rachel's powerful swimming strokes.  He used her skill for the team's advantage, having her anchor the relay race.

Ted  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt