General Writing and Grammar Help/Make it through

Question
Dear Ted:

Would you please have a look at the following sentence and explain the meaning of "made it through"?

The end of the world has come, and only a lucky few have made it through.

Also, would you please give me some examples of how to use "to make it through" correctly?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Would you please have a look at the following sentence and explain the meaning
of "made it through"?

Also, would you please give me some examples of how to use "to make it through"
correctly?

**** "Made it through" means "survived" or "lasted."  In your particular case, it means that
only a luck few are still living.  [survived]

EXAMPLES:

If we make it through our final game, our basketball team will be unbeaten this season.

After the Trojan War ended, Ulysses traveled ten years to get home.  Despite all the obstacles the gods put in his way, he MADE IT THROUGH and lived to see his faithful wife, Penelope.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt