General Writing and Grammar Help/Make it through, make it through to, make it to

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following sentences is/are correct and natural?

1) Sampras MADE IT THROUGH the final.

2) Sampras MADE IT THROUGH TO the final.

3) Sampras MADE IT TO the final.

If all three are possible, do they have the same meaning?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

1) Sampras MADE IT THROUGH the final.

3) Sampras MADE IT TO the final.

*** The second and third are correct, and they have the same meaning.  Both of them say that Pete Sampras won every match he played.  Now, he is ready to play against the other contender in the tournament.

*** The first sentence doesn't fit with the other two.  By saying that he "made it through the final," you are indicating that the tournament is over.  Unfortunately, from the information given, that's ALL we know.  We do NOT know who won the final.  You would have to give additional information:  Sampras made it through the final, in which he was victorious over Borg.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt