General Writing and Grammar Help/How about & what about

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "HOW about....." and "WHAT about....."?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** It depends on the context.  For instance, "HOW much of the proposal is ABOUT money?"  In this sentence, "how . . . about" is used as an adverb.

"WHAT are you going to do ABOUT your financial problems?"  In this sentence "about your financial problems" is used as an adjective.

*** If your question is concerning "how about" and "what about" with no intervening words, then the sentence in which the phrases appear will most likely be a sentence fragment, as in "WHAT ABOUT me?"  "HOW ABOUT going to the movies?"

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt