General Writing and Grammar Help/Take & take over

Question
Dear Ted:

If the sentences below are both correct, do they mean the same thing?

1) First, we checked into the hotel, and then we took a taxi to the convention center.

2) First, we checked into the hotel, and then we took a taxi OVER to the convention center.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, should I write, "if the sentences below are both correct,....." or "If both of the sentences below are correct,....."?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

**** #1 is the better sentence.  The two sentences mean the same thing, but using two prepositions [over + to] is a unnecessary.  Nevertheless, many people [in different part of this country] think of "over to" as generally accepted.  It is a regional dialect phrase.

*** For instance, in some areas of this country, the following sentence is quite normal:  I am going OVER TO visit my grandmother.

*** I don't like using two prepositions when one will suffice:  I am going TO visit my grandmother.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

*** Either one is correct.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt