General Writing and Grammar Help/Ask AFTER someone - ask FOR someone

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there any difference between "to ask FOR someone" and "to ask AFTER someone"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

ASK FOR = You want to see or talk to a person, and you are asking about his availability

EXAMPLES:  I intend to go to his office and ask for him in person.

The dying mother was asking for her family.

ASK AFTER =  You do not want to SEE the person.  You want to know how the person is doing.

EXAMPLES:  I asked after Joan, since she hadn't been to work for several days.

At our family reunion, I asked after several cousins with whom I had lost contact.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt