General Writing and Grammar Help/Let's get back to basics

Question
Dear Ted:

In the middle of your sentence to my question about the meaning of "get to," you wrote the following:

There is an expression used here:  Let's get back to basics.  That sentence is suggesting that we leave whatever it is we are going and RETURN to what we used to do.

My question is this:

Is anything wrong with the sentence "That sentence is suggesting that we leave whatever it is we are going and RETURN to what we used to do"? In other words, why didn't you simply write, ".....we leave whatever it is TO RETURN to what....."?

I hope I have made myself clear with the rewriting of your original sentence. What do you think?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

My question is this:

*** You have made yourself clear, and I'm a real dummy.  Although I reviewed my answer for errors, I missed the incorrect work "going."  It should be "whatever it is we are DOING and RETURN to what we used to do."

*** Your suggestion about "we leave whatever it is to return to what . . . . " is not good.  You need to complete it with SOMETHING after "whatever it is . . .. "

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt