General Writing and Grammar Help/Clauses

Question
Dear Ted:

Are there any differences among a "subordinate clause," a "dependent clause," and a "subjunctive clause"?

If so, would you please give me some examples of them?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Are there any differences among a "subordinate clause," a "dependent clause,"
and a "subjunctive clause"?

A subordinate clause IS a dependent clause.  They are two names for the same thing.  Likewise, a main clause is also called an independent clause.

Years ago, someone at Allexperts asked me if there were ANY kinds of grammar questions that I would NOT ask.  My response . . . . the perfect tenses AND the subjunctive mood.

The subjunctive mood is used infrequently.  Unfortunately, it is used often enough, though, to create headaches.

Here are the basic uses for the subjunctive mood:  a supposition, a hypothesis, and a condition contrary to fact.

If I were the King of England, I would do away with Parliament.  [This is a condition contrary to fact, because I am NOT the King of England.]

I AM the King of England.  [main or independent clause]

I can eat all the chocolate I want, because I am the King of England.  [What follows "because" is an independent or subordinate clause.]

That's it!

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt