General Writing and Grammar Help/To date

Dear Ted:

Which tense should I use with "to date"?

Would you please give me some examples?

BTW, is it correct to call "to date" a prepositional phrase?

If so, where can I find information about prepositional phrases on the Internet?

Thank you very much for the help.

Dear Paolo:

"To date" is a prepositional phrase.   It means "up to the present."

To date, no one has found Barbara's missing cell phone.

The volunteer organization sent out a message for financial help almost a month ago; to date, they have received just three responses.

*** Did I send you a Word document with many websites offering assistance in grammar and writing?  If I did, there are several good ones listed that cover prepositional phrases.  If you do not have this document, please let me know, and I'll send it to your personal e-mail.

I am also working on a list of websites that offer FREE tests or quizzes concerning grammar and writing.  I don't know when I'll finish it, but I will send you a copy when it is completed.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy