General Writing and Grammar Help/Get to - The Drop

Question
Dear Ted:

I just received several answers to the question about the meaning of "get to" in the excerpt from the book "The Drop."

Here is the link:

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/123133/the-drop-meaning-of-get-to?ans

My question is this:

In short, what is the meaning of "get to" in that particular excerpt? If you had to replace "get to" with another verb or verbs, which would you use?

I hope I have made myself clear.

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, would you please check if what I have written in this message is correct and natural? If not, would you please rewrite it for me? I am asking this because if, in the future, I have to write similar messages, I know how to do it. Thanks, Paolo.

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Here is the link:

My question is this:

*** Here's my problem.  I see several explanations of "get to" at that forum.  There is a list of idioms based on "get to."  The first meaning given at the forum says that "get to" is equivalent to "is able to."  It also means "to begin" or "to start something."

EXAMPLES:

I get to lead the band at the next concert.

If she is able TO GET her parents' permission, she will study abroad next year.

Paolo,  here is a website with the definition and many phrases given.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/get+to

I hope I have made myself clear.

Thank you very much for the help.

Paolo

*** Your writing is very good.  I see nothing to correct.  I am not sure, however, exactly what your question refers to at the forum.  You seem to be asking about something specific, but I found SEVERAL examples at that site.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt